Wednesday 1 October 2014

Sound and Vision: week 1


For my visual research weeks I have chosen the Sound and Vision project. This involves turning something audio into something visual which I think I will enjoy, being quite a big fan of music but will challenge me as well. 
Our first task was to listen to one song and create 15-30 drawings based one just that song. I chose a song called ……. By Dervish. This is an instrumental Irish folk song and these were some of the images I produced:




The next exercise I tried was called “Colour Fields”, we had to listen to a song with contrasts and create a colour palette and a composition using that colour palette that represents the song. I chose “Sea of Love” by Catpower. 
Finally I tried an exercise where we had to create our own graphic notation in response to a piece of music. I chose the instrumental piece “Music for a Found Harmonium” by the Penguin CafĂ© Orchestra I mainly responded to the “deh-deh-deh” sounds of the violin.
 


This week I feel I have struggled with the exercises, due to the abstract nature of the mark making and still haven’t really found a media I’m fully comfortable with, much like my summer sketchbook it feels a bit scattered and not really part of a collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment