Monday 10 November 2014

Experimenting and Inspiration


I have now had lots of inductions onto lots of exciting machines and have had fun experimenting to find out how each one can help me translate my drawings into textiles. Also continuing with my drawing and accidently photocopying one of my pieces black and white has become visually very interesting to me. I have now focused on combining the coloured lines with the black and white. 




I have particularly enjoyed using the Irish, Embellisher and Cornelly machines to create interesting backgrounds and have tried to focus on creating interesting pattern surfaces that reflect the waviness of my drawings. 


Although I quite like some of these samples I feel like focusing on created a textured surface isn’t as relative to my drawings which have a more graphic, line quality about them. 
Having looked at my drawing I have found that I find the lines breaking up other lines very interesting and have experimented with weaving my drawings to emphasise this. 
I have decided to try and translate these woven drawings into samples. So far I have attempted to do this with built up backgrounds and woven in shop bought ribbon. 

This week we also got given a talk from Emily Woods from Cabasa Carnival Arts. This is a textile profession that I had never really considered before but encompasses all the aspects of textiles and life I enjoy. Not only does she produce amazing, brightly coloured one of a kind pieces, she is also working in the community, to help minority groups have more cohesion and celebrate themselves. I applied for Textiles in Practice at MMU with the view to doing an Art Therapy MA so being involved with community projects on such a practical level would be ideal. They also take part in festivals and parades which is something I’ve always been interested in working in but previously found no obvious link to a career in textiles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment