Tuesday 3 February 2015

Self Initiated Brief


This week I have been focusing on my Self Initiated Brief, I have chosen to create samples for a carnival costume context. Having done some contextual research, I have considered the fabrics I'm going to use such as bright colours, metallic and sparkly threads, materials reminiscent of feathers.


These are some of the samples I have made in response to the idea of a phoenix costume for carnival.

Using the embellisher and colourful rovings, I have tried to create a soft feathery sample, on top of a sparkly, light weight silk.


For this sample I wanted to create something a little more patterned and detailed. Although in this formation it looks a bit floral, I think if the pattern was repeated or separated into individual feathers, it would look more phoenix like. Despite this, I am really pleased with my colour mixing and how effectively I have created a fabric purely from stitch using water soluble backing.


Finally with this sample I have tried to combine the featheriness of a Phoenix with the bright colours and flare of a carnival costume, using ribbons and the embellisher to achieve this:

No comments:

Post a Comment